Big Write Parent Workshop

April 28, 2014

As part of our school priority this year to further improve children’s writing skills, we launched ‘BIG WRITE’. On Thursday 24th April, Mrs Ellwood and Mrs Chassebi, our English subject leader, delivered a parent workshop to share the principles behind ‘Big Write’, the value of ‘talk for writing’, how parents can support their child with their ‘Talk homework’ as well as sharing what ‘Big Write’ teaching looks like in the classroom.  During the evening parents were also given fun and practical ways to support their children at home building on the strategies we teach them in school.

It was fantastic to see so many parents attend our first Big Write parent workshop. Thank you for your positive feedback.

‘Extremely helpful session on the terminology used in teaching our children. Very helpful to see the video clips on the approach and style used by teachers. Well worth it- thank you! ’

‘Very interesting and informative. Great to see the clips on how Big Write is taught. Big take away for me is how this will enrich our children’s vocabulary. Excellent programme’

‘This is so different to how I learnt and it is great- so much more fun and interactive. I’m really grateful you run these evenings so we as parents can share.’

‘ Wow! I am so excited for these children. They are so lucky to have such a fantastic way of learning and enthusiastic teachers. I can’t wait for my son to develop through the school and get to grips with the ‘Big write’. Many thanks for your time.’

If you were unable to attend this workshop and would like to learn more about Big Write please go to the Parents section of the website where you can download the power point, hand outs and previous letters sent to parents regarding this.

Previous post:

Next post: